The Center was established by the Council of Ministers Resolution No. 363 dated 24 Dhu al-Qa'dah 1431H to transfer the National Program (Provisional) for Energy Management and Conservation in King Abdul-Aziz City for Science and Technology to a permanent national center within the framework of the administrative organization of the city directly linked to the mayor of the city.
Cabinet Decision No. 16 dated 17/1/1433 AH approved the organization of the Center, which included a detailed description of its functions and a number of articles on the role of the Commission and the Center's resources, as well as the addition of a number of bodies to the membership of the Administrative Committee.
The approval of the Council of Ministers in resolution No. (353) dated 3/7/1439 AH on the new organization of the Saudi Center for Energy Efficiency.